Monday, July 25, 2016

“Where they find the fault that I handle these folk so foul, how could I other do? For while I declare and show their writing to be such (as I needs must or leave the most necessary points of all the matter untouched) it were very hard for me to handle it in such wise as when I plainly prove them abominable heretics and against God and his sacraments and saints, very blasphemous fools they should discern that I speak them fair. I am a simple plain body For though Tindall and Frilh in their writings call me a poet, it is but of their own courtesy, undeserved on my part, For I can neither so much poetry nor so much rhetoric neither as to find good names for evil things, but even as the Macedonians could not call a traitor but a traitor, so can I not call a fool but a fool, nor a heretic but an heretic.” St. Thomas More, speaking of Protestant heretics  (Quoted in “The Life of Sir Thomas More” in “Lewis’ Preface”, pub. 1626, the English modernized and edited by myself.)

No comments:

Post a Comment