Monday, July 25, 2016


“The morning of my First Communion, [my mother] . . . would not let me do anything; I was only to read and pray. My mother often said: ‘My dear son, this has been a great day for you. I am sure that God has truly taken possession of your heart. Now you must promise Him to do your best to remain good until the day you die. In the future, go frequently to Holy Communion and beware not to commit sacrilege. In confession tell all you know, obey always, go readily to catechism classes and sermons and, for the love of God, avoid like the plague those who use foul language.’

I treasured these words and did my best to practice the counsels of my pious mother; and I think that from that day on there has been some improvement in my life, particularly in obedience and in submission to others, which I found very difficult at the time, since, like a child, I always wanted to have my way with all who were in charge or advised me.”

—St. John Bosco

No comments:

Post a Comment