Thursday, July 12, 2018

 “Yes, my dear mother! I have seen that soul in purgatory. Oh! my mother,” she continued, weeping, “how good is God in His justice! How has this prince followed the spirit of the world and the lights of the flesh — how little anxiety has he had for his soul, and how little devotion in the use of the sacraments! And yet, my dear mother, I am not so much moved at the lamentable state of suffering in which I have seen his soul, as I am struck with wonder at the blessed movement of grace which accomplished his salvation. That happy instant seems to me an out flow of the infinity of God’s goodness, sweetness, and love. The action in which he died deserved hell. It was no attention to God on His own part which won from heaven that precious moment of grace. It was an effect of the communion of saints by the participation which he had in the prayers that were made for him. The Divine Omnipotence lovingly allowed itself to be turned by some good soul, and in that grace acted beyond its wont. Ah! my dear mother, henceforth we must teach all the world to beg of God, our blessed Lady, and the saints, that final instant of grace and mercy for the hours of death, and also to pave the way for it by good works, because, though our Lord may sometimes derogate from His ordinary providence, we must never presume on that privilege in our own case.” -St. Marie Denise. (From the book “Mary's call to her loving children; or, Devotion to the dying”, pub. with permission of the bishop, 1880, quoting Fr Faber who quotes this saint, on pp. 68-69)

No comments:

Post a Comment