Monday, August 28, 2017

"Do you know how to recognize the moments in which Our Lord visits your soul? A word read or heard, perhaps even by chance, an edifying example, an interior inspiration, a new light which makes you see your faults more clearly and opens new horizons of virtue and of good -- all are visits from Jesus. And you, how do you correspond? Is your soul sensitive to these lights, to these admonitions? Do you not sometimes turn your gaze away, fearing that the light you have glimpsed may ask you for sacrifices which are too painful for your self-love?" (Fr. Gabriel of St. Mary Magdalene, ocd)
"I have sometimes placed my hopes in my own virtue, which was no virtue; and when I attempted to run, thinking I was very strong, I fell very quickly and went backward instead of forward. What I expected to reach, disappeared, and thus, O Lord, in various ways you have tested my powers. With light from You, I now see that I could not accomplish by myself the things that I wanted to do most. I said to myself: 'I shall do this, I shall finish that,' and I did not do either the one or the other. The will was there but not the power, and if the power was there the will was not; this because I had trusted in my own strength. Sustain me then, O Lord, for alone I can do nothing. However, when You are my stability, then it is true stability; but when I am my own stability, then it is weakness." St. Augustine, Bishop, Doctor of the Church.  (excerpts from Divine Intimacy #252, Baronius Press, 2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment