Wednesday, May 17, 2017

“I, Pope Calixtus III., promise and vow to the Holy Trinity, Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, to the Ever-Virgin Mother of God, to the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul, and to all the heavenly host, that I will do everything in my power, even, if need be, with the sacrifice of my life, aided by the counsel of my worthy brethren, to reconquer Constantinople, which in punishment for the sin of man has been taken and ruined by Mahomet II., the son of the devil and the enemy of our Crucified Redeemer. Further, I vow to deliver the Christians languishing in slavery, to exalt the true Faith and to extirpate the diabolical sect of the reprobate and faithless Mahomet in the East. For there the light of Faith is almost completely extinguished. If I forget thee, O Jerusalem, let my right hand be forgotten. Let my tongue cleave to my jaws, if I do not remember thee. If I make not Jerusalem the beginning of my joy, God and His holy Gospel help me.—Amen.” Pope Calixtus III, original inaugural oath  (According to Ludwig Von Pastor, in his “History of the Popes” vol. II: “The vow has been often printed, in Cochlaeus, Hist. Hussit., i, xi. ; d’Achery, Spicil., iii., 797 ; Raynaldiis ad an. 1455, N. 18 ; Bzovius, xvii., 137; Wadding, xii., 245; Leibniz, Cod. jur. gent., i., 411, and others.” [pg. 346])

No comments:

Post a Comment