Sunday, April 17, 2016

"You will find that the reading of sacred scripture is a great and powerful remedy against bodily suffering and depression of mind. In my opinion, there is no other writing, no matter how eloquent and stylish it may be, that can bring such peace to our minds and so thoroughly dissolve our cares as sacred scripture can."
"I speak from personal experience: for there have been times when I was beset with anxieties, the worst of which came from the experience of my own weakness, and if on such occasions I sought relief in the scriptures, the hopes and desires that led me there were never disappointed. The word of scripture proved to be a solid bulwark against my anxieties and a relief to my troubled spirit."
Blessed Baptist Spagnoli of Mantua
Treatise on Patience
(L. 3, c. 32: Opera Omnia, 1576, 4, f. 170r-171r)

No comments:

Post a Comment